The Department of Agricultural Economics was established in 1994 and is one of the departments of the Faculty of Agriculture / Sebha University, and the Department of Agricultural Economics includes an elite of faculty members who are distinguished in terms of scientific competence. And workshops in partnership with other colleges from within Sabha University and from outside, and faculty members participate in many scientific conferences at home and abroad, and recently the department hosted the second conference of agricultural economists at the level of Libya during the period 24-25 / November 2018 AD, and it was a successful conference By all accounts, the testimonies of the guests who participated in the conference activities from the major Libyan universities (University of Tripoli, Omar Al-Mukhtar University, Al-Marqab University ... etc.).
The Department of Agricultural Economics is one of the leading scientific departments in the field of agricultural economics at the level of agricultural colleges in Libya, in addition to that it is one of the leading departments of the college in addition to that it is a service department that serves all departments of the college and the department has passed since its inception many developments and changes to keep pace with developments in the field of agricultural economics .
This section is concerned with studying the economic aspects of the agricultural sector and issues related to the production and marketing of agricultural products by providing its students with a theoretical and practical background that combines agricultural science and economic skills to enable it to manage agricultural projects and analyze their problems and provide solutions to them, and provide consultations and services related to agricultural commodities, and contribute to shaping economic policies In the agricultural field.
The main areas of study in this section include economics of the production unit, consumer behavior, the value chain of agricultural products, the characteristics and dynamics of rural societies, and agricultural extension techniques.
Graduates of this department can obtain a job opportunity in many fields including agricultural banks, rural lending institutions, agricultural foreign trade, agricultural business, marketing and distribution of agricultural products, consulting services, extension organizations and the media.
Skills distinguished by a graduate of the Agricultural Economics Department:
- Design a business plan for a farm.
- A cost-benefit analysis of an agricultural project is being conducted.
- Calculates the credit options for the investment and estimates the benefits of each alternative.
- Develops marketing plans for agricultural projects and businesses.
- Negotiates with the buying and selling agencies for supplies and products.
- Understands and deals with product and consumer behavior.
The Department of Agricultural Economics strives with its human capabilities to prepare the specialized scientific cadres that the labor market and community service need and to be distinguished in its specialization by providing educational, research and consulting services in order to achieve excellence for its students in light of local and global competition.
The Department of Agricultural Economics seeks to prepare specialized and qualified scientific cadres capable of developing the agricultural sector and to acquire skills and knowledge and deepen scientific research in a manner that contributes to preparing a graduate who is able to keep pace with the developments in the labor market. The section also contributes to the field of community service by providing consultations and training in Areas of specialization for public and private institutions to develop their own and those of their employees.
- Providing distinguished education to prepare graduates and researchers with the ability to keep abreast of development in the field of agricultural economics
- Providing the appropriate climate for the student to achieve the maximum possible utilization of available educational opportunities that help him to keep pace with the labor market and its development. .
- Developing scientific research activities and encouraging research and studies that contribute to the service of the surrounding environment and the national economy in general and agricultural in particular. .
- Providing expertise, consulting and training for workers in the field of agricultural economics.
- Documenting scientific links and concluding agreements between the department and entities of common interest in the field of higher education and scientific research..
- Supporting the interconnection between the department and its graduates at the stage of university and graduate studies in all institutions.
- Carrying out technical, financial and economic feasibility studies for agricultural projects and conducting economic, marketing and financing studies..
Postgraduate study plan
Name of the degree (in Arabic) granted: Master (high degree) in agricultural economics
Awarded degree name (in English): Master in Agricultural Economic
The components of the plan:
The study plan for the Master's degree (high degree) in agricultural economics consists of (33) accredited units distributed as follows:
|#||The course||number of units|
|1||Department requirements from the university (general requirements)||3|
|2||Department Specialized Requirements (Compulsory)||24|
|3||Department requirements are optional||6|
|#||Course Code||The course name is in Arabic||Course name in English||number of units||Type|
|1||PG900||طرق بحث||research methodology||3||Compulsory|
|5||AEC524||السياسة الزراعية||Agricultural Policy||3||Compulsory|
|6||AEC631||اقتصاديات الإنتاج الزراعي||Agricultural Production of Economics||3||Compulsory|
|7||AEC523||تقييم المشاريع الزراعية||Agricultural Project Evaluation||3||Compulsory|
|10||AEC633||التمويل الزراعي||Agricultural Finance||3||selective|
|11||AEC522||التسويق الزراعي||Agricultural Marketing||3||selective|
|12||ECO642||التجارة الدولية||International Trade||3||selective|
|13||AEC521||إدارة المزارع||Farm Management||3||selective|
|14||AEC641||التخطيط والتنمية الزراعية||Agricultural Plan & Development||3||selective|
|15||ECO643||تحليل الأسعار||Price Analysis||3||selective|