The Department of Botany is one of the scientific departments of the Faculty of Science - Sebha University, foundations with the establishment of the college in 1984, so students from high school and basic sciences and life sciences are accepted after studying two semesters in the general department with respect to high school for three years, while the four-year system is accepted directly, the number of students It currently has about (541) students, and the department seeks to provide students with the latest science in the field of botany and to train them to use scientific research methods to develop research and solve problems related to botany and its multiple branches. The department includes two divisions, the Plant Division and the Microbiology Division.
After graduation, the student is granted the specialized degree "Bachelor". The graduate program of the department has been implemented since the academic year 1992/1999, and the number of graduate students is currently 21 students.
And the number of faculty members from the patriots and the Arabs reaches (18) members, and they are holders of scientific qualifications who specialize in teaching, supervising research and providing scientific consultations. The department also includes a number of teaching assistants, technicians and administrators.
The department has a good number of laboratories and laboratories equipped with equipment and devices for the purpose of training students and their use in various fields of scientific research. The number is (9), and the department hopes to increase support in terms of equipment and devices for these laboratories and laboratories.
Students from the general secondary and basic sciences and life sciences holders are accepted after studying two semesters in the general department with regard to high school diplomas for three years. As for the four-year system they are admitted directly, the number of students therein currently reaches about (541) students, and the department seeks to provide students with the most recent findings Science mechanism in the field of botany and their training in the use of scientific research methods to develop research and solve problems related to botany and its multiple branches. The department includes two divisions, the Botanical Division and the Microbiology Division. Upon graduation, the student is granted a Bachelor's degree in Botany and the Applied Microbiology Division.
Department's fields and branches of specialization
The department is interested in studying many branches of botany and its various fields, the most important of which are the following:
- Microorganisms of which the department includes a division (it is interested in studying the different microorganisms and their importance for humans and plants, and using different microbial techniques to identify them and benefit from them)
- Plant classification (this branch is concerned with identifying the genera and plant species and arranging them in groups with a common relationship that are related to each other by what distinguishes them from other groups).
- Plant physiology (this branch focuses on studying the functions of plant members and the vital activities of these organs and their organs).
- Plant Environment (This branch studies the relationships of plant living organisms, and the various surrounding factors in their habitats, such as physical factors such as: the Earth's water and air surroundings, as well as the relationships of these organisms with other other organisms and interest in studying some environmental problems such as climate change, salinity, and desertification Ozone layer, pollution, and other topics).
- Plant diseases (This branch studies diseases that affect plants and ways to control them).
- Partial genetics (studies the molecular and chemical composition of the genetic material of living organisms and focus on the plant side of them).
- Plant anatomy (studies the internal structure of all plant tissues, organs, and organs).
- Genetics (interested in studying the biological characteristics of an organism and explaining the mechanisms of transmission of these characteristics and characteristics between generations of living organisms, including plants).
- Tissue culture (studying the use of modern plant propagation techniques).
- Plant disease control (concerned with fighting plant diseases through chemical and biological methods).
Medicinal plants (interested in studying the geographical distribution and use of medicinal plants and the compounds they contain).
Active and distinguished participation in its field of specialization and achieving its goals as one of the most important scientific departments in the university by seeking to provide distinguished university education in the field of botany in the light of the vision and mission of the college.
We always strive to develop academic and academic processes and related matters to ensure the continuation of the educational process to reach the highest levels of competence with regard to graduates and excellence and to raise the level of scientific research in all areas of specialization.